Thread: Gun Safe Advise
View Single Post
Old January 6, 2011, 06:39 AM   #20
Adirondack

Quote:
We get it. You're an engineer that has something to do with furnaces. You're paid to do that. You're biased towards whatever materials you use when designing furnaces.
I didn't say anything about my background here, you must be remembering another discussion from another site.

Quote:
Because clearly, the guys that build this stuff have no idea what they're talking about.

The largest manufacturers don't know what they're talking about. Every other manufacturer of these products doesn't know what they're talking about. Guys who work with these products every day don't know what they're talking about. Even UL doesn't know what they're talking about.
I'd say UL (Underwriters Laboratory I.e. a third party test lab) does know what they are talking about because they have setup tests that none of these large gun safe manufacturers can pass. Yes we both know there isn't a gun safe that has an actual UL fire rating which should make a customer wonder what are all these ratings they show on their gun safes about "Mercury Class" etc? Pretty big numbers for temperature and exposure time but no UL sticker ... seems like they are not being very honest.

Quote:
The next time somebody wants to know what works in furnaces, they should contact those in the furnace business.
Heat transfer works the same in either direction whether you are trying to keep heat in or keep it out. I have heat treat furnaces with steel shells that you can put your bare hand on after cooking the contents for 8 hours at over 1000F. I'd think a furnace manufacturer would make a pretty good fire rated safe.

Pictures and videos says it all: complete burn down of a residence, and a safe filled with paper that survived. That's with just 2 inches of fiber on the sides and back 3 inches on the door, top and bottom of the safe. Sturdy offers a double insulated safe with 4 inches top, bottom sides and back that could survive a very intense fire.

Page generated in 0.03876 seconds with 8 queries