View Single Post
Old April 16, 2011, 01:10 AM   #40
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I was sitting on a rock on a tidal flat on Prince of Wales Island waiting on a boat pickup when a bear came out of the woods less than 100 yards from us and started eating vegetation. The scary thing is that he came in behind us and we didn't know it until we opted to move to another location and saw the bear.
I live on a canal that makes a "great" home for ducks, during the summer. When my wife throws old bread to them, she can't get the ducks within 10 feet of her. Yet, when I'm working in the garage, they'll mosey on in with no hesitation. I can be beating on something with a hammer, running a saw, or sweeping out the place; and they'll act like they haven't a care in the world. They'll just side-step to get out of my way, as I walk around, and they'll continue poking around for bugs.

As you said-
It's amazing what animals can sometimes choose to ignore, or react unexpectedly to. And, in contrast, it's amazing what they can be condition to view as a possible threat, even though humans see no eminent danger (such as my wife feeding them).

Page generated in 0.03837 seconds with 8 queries