View Single Post
Old March 13, 2018, 05:36 PM   #13
riffraff

I wonder what goes on today and am scared of the prospect of these kids reaching adulthood in mass, but ~20 to ~30 years ago when I was in grade/middle/high school we were actually taught the right to bear arms was a unique and wholesome measure, put in place such to *protect us from the government*. Similarly we were taught that the government had no right entering your home without a search warrant, the right to free speech, the concept of innocent until proven guilty, and all the similarly important principles we are supposed to live by here..

Recently I was a bit astonished at a work thing when my boss, a very well educated ~60 year old southern gent and a fairly hard core right winger, but not the gun owning sort, told some visitors from Europe over dinner that the right to bear arms had something to do with "rights to hunt the land"... The man seems to know history on everything, far more about the local history where I live 1000 miles away than I do, but on such a basic thing he was way off the mark...

Immediately that got me wondering, that basic idea we all very well knew & accepted from a young age on, which I believe to be very much correct - is not all that well shared across the nation because apparently teachers have not been teaching basic history. No wonder we have all these debates on gun control - huge masses of the nation are not even aware of such things.

Page generated in 0.05147 seconds with 9 queries