View Single Post
Old July 13, 2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Edward429451

Interesting. What you're saying is about where I was at before Bucky changed my mind. Since I ran some uncrimped ammo through the Mini, and never have ran even one crimped round through the AR, I know it's safe. At least inasmuch as for the uh, light duty of a trip to the range to punch paper.

I took Bucky's reasoning thusly, Blasting/range/shtf ammo is loaded in much higher quantities than match/long range ammo so the possibility of a bad pc of brass slipping through (not enough neck tension), or a mis feed which may allow the bullet to be impacted by the locking lugs on the barrel or whatever...things happen. Having had crimped it would afford a (nanno!) more assurance that a catastrophic failure would not occur. Eh? Besides, if it's not long range ammo, what's it going to hurt to crimp. Every little bit helps.

I suspect that may be Lymans reasoning for the crimp for the Mini admonition in their 46th edition. Not everyone can be expected to inspect each round as good as they should, especially when loading for what are usually high volume loading. Even experianced loaders can slip. Things happen.

The 62 & 69 gr bullets I load have no cannelure, so why wouldn't a taper crimp be the way to go there? No deformation of the bullet and some added durability for the ammo. The taper crimp is all I've used when crimping and seems ok.

I'm curious to know your qualifier for your position. Do you load for both Mini's & AR's, shoot competition, benchrest, etc..? you never stated that. I'm not necessarily opposing your position. In fact I felt the same way until Bucky's post. I'm not been loading rifle stuff very long and no competition stuff so only know what I've read and heard and wanted some info from the mouth of experiance. I almost certain Bucky's high power because of his 625 yd statement.

Page generated in 0.02752 seconds with 8 queries