View Single Post
Old December 3, 2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Grymaster2007, my demonstration takes you to the thread, with the indicated post as the first post seen. Since I used post #1, it just "looked" like it was taking you to the beginning of the thread. Let's use another example... Say, post #3:

Right clicking and copying that post gives us:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3159795&postcount=3

Now deleting everything but the post number gives us: 3159795. Now, when we make the quotable text, we get:

[quote=flight954;3159795]I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote from another persons post. Can somebody help a brother out?[/quote]

Notice, there are no spaces before or after the "=", just as there are no spaces before or after the ";". So we end up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight954 View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote from another persons post. Can somebody help a brother out?
This took us not only to the thread, but placed the post we were quoting as the first post seen by our browser.

Now, let's look at it the way I suggested it be used. Say I wanted to quote something from the Avatars thread (on this forum). I would concatenate it this way:

[quote=Wildalaska;3155370]Blame me:[/quote]

Which would look like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
Blame me:
Click on it and see.

So what is the real use for this little coding exercise? Normally you can just reference the thread and tell everyone what post number you are quoting about. So it looks like this:

From [url=http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322488]this[/url] thread, WA said in post #11:
[quote=Wildalaska]Balme me:[/quote]

which fully assembled, shows as:

From this thread, WA said in post #11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
Balme me:
or, you can do it the "easy" way to get:

From the Avatars thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
Blame me:
All of this is useful when quoting someone from either another thread, or in the same thread that has several pages, so idiots like me can see who you are quoting (without having to look, because my memory won't work back across multiple pages) and possibly where you are quoting from (if it's from another thread or many posts back up the line).

Now that I've showed how it works, there is a (sort of) shortcut (did you know I would save this for last?).

When you click on the "reply" button, you are taken to the "Reply to Thread" edit box. If you continue to scroll down past the edit box, you will see the last 25 replies of the thread.

So, if the post (you want to quote) isn't too far back, you can drop below your edit box, and hover your mouse over the name of the person making the post. What you will see, for a few moments, is the actual post number by itself... A little box appears that says "post 1234567". But that requires you to memorize the number or quickly write it down for use in your response.

Of course, that isn't going to work, if your quote is from another thread. Which is why I gave the "long" way to do it in the first place.

Page generated in 0.02990 seconds with 8 queries