View Single Post
Old April 27, 2014, 08:00 PM   #1
bamaranger

2oz -#7-1/2 lead shot crumples another one

A big believer in 12 ga, 3" #5 lead shot for spring gobblers, I've been selectively shooting up some of my smaller pellet shot shells that have been taking up space in the ammo chest, on gobblers in ideal set ups, typically with dekes and a blind, or in late season when the foliage is out heavy.

Last year I dumped a jake at 43 paces on a ROW (hey, I've been duped so many times by toms I SHOULD have killed, that I shoot jakes, besides, there were 3 of them). A bit farther than I intended to shoot,but result was a peppered and deceased young gobbler. This year, another pair of jakes came slinking into a decoy set and at 37 paces, the 2 oz of #7-1/2 lead resulted in a VERY peppered head and a quite dead young gobbler)

I cannot in good faith recommend #7-1/2 lead shot on gobblers as a universal load, and actually have some reservation on #6 lead as well (that will get a scorch for sure).

But I post the above as evidence that you do not need space shot and a 3.5 belchfire shotgun to kill gobblers, just good setups, reasonable ranges, and a shotgun with some type of sight beyond a simple bead, that shoots tight. That two ounces of #7-1/2 will consistently place over 300+ pellets on a sheet of typing paper at 30 paces, with 125+ of them being in a hand drawn turkey head from my old 870 with Rem super full tube. Bamaboys 835 will do some better,and that is what did the deed this last time.

Season is all but over here, and bad weather may well spoil the last few days.

Best of luck to all still hunting the spring gobbler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries