View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Rangefinder

Quote:
Another way to re-load primers is to use toy cap gun caps for the priming compound. IF you can still find some. Same procedure, but getting the compound free from the paper is exciting, you WON'T sleep through it, that I can guarantee!
Believe it or not, the place I found those roll caps was at the grocery store. They always have the little toy section with all the "made in China" 1$ junk, but among it is usually cap guns and caps. Using a leather punch worked best for me as long as it was good and sharp, and I was careful. No need to separate the paper. They throw a spark--the primer cup forces it in the right direction and it flows around the anvil just fine. I DID find I had to use about 3 or 4 of them to get good ignition, the caps now aren't nearly as potent as the ones I had as a kid. Another thing that can help the process is the powder inside the "booby-trap" pull-string firecrackers. A little of that in the bottom of the cup under the roll caps lights 'em up good. The same stuff can be found in the party-poppers.

Until they can't be found, I'll stick with factory primers. But it's always good to know your options and have a plan-B (I tend to include a plan C, D, and E as well).

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Page generated in 0.02221 seconds with 8 queries