View Single Post
Old September 17, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
rauke

Thank you, gentlemen!

The amount and the quality of expertise in these Forums never cease to amaze (and comfort) me.

ISC, thanks for pointing out that the nail polish has to be diluted 50% with acetone or polish remover, and recommending that it be slightly tinted to better monitor coverage.

RKG and Dannyl, thank you for your reassurances that factory ammo will stand up to occasional water logging.

As you may have noticed from another thread, I just lost a few rounds of good ammo after getting caught in bad weather and having two of my carry pieces (and holsters) soaked.

Much as the majority opinion at this point says that it shouldn’t be an issue with factory cartridges, I believe that prudence is the better part of valor, and have consigned the affected ammo to my practice pile, as a few others recommended.

What I plan to do next is to have a batch of 250 factory-spec reloads made up. I will then waterproof them using the recommended method and fire them to see if any sign of unusual fouling develops in a semi-auto (probably 9mm --- the smaller caliber should be more prone to fouling than a .40 or .45 ACP).
This will be to find out what happens to the nail polish when it burns, NOT to find out if reloads can be waterproofed.

Will keep you posted on the results.

Page generated in 0.02238 seconds with 8 queries