View Single Post
Old April 3, 2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

A couple of things: first, the people who are saying "Talk to a lawyer" are absolutely right. Even if you don't need one to represent you in court, it won't cost you $8k to get some advice.

The second thing: it sounds like you're doing well with keeping the handgun locked up, and training your daughter to be safe. But if you're teaching her to shoot, etc. (And the two of you are having fun while you're doing that, I bet ) SHE knows there's a gun in the house, and she may well mention it to someone at some point. Even to her mother, teenagers being what they are -- "Dad and I have fun together, we went shooting last weekend, how come you never do stuff like that with me?"

I understand that you're concerned that a judge will react negatively to knowing there's a handgun on the premises -- but it's going to make a much worse impression if it looks like you've been trying to hide that fact. (And you know, of course, that asking your daughter to lie about this, or help you conceal it, would be putting her in an awful position -- I'm assuming you'd never do that.)

So, yes, talk to a lawyer, and do what will demonstrate that you're a responsible parent.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries