View Single Post
Old November 18, 1999, 06:52 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No flames, Will, we're merely disagreeing and not much of that.I save flames for ARAs, anti gunners, Clintonistas,etc...

Owned a number of excellent 06's, and regard that caliber in a good bolt action as the ideal all around rifle. But we're talking a different story here.

First used a peep sight in tne military, and it served me well in the late unpleasantness in SEA. Right now, there's at least 4 weapons here at Casa McC with them,and the only scope's on a 10-22 the kids plink with.

Not dumping on scopes OR other's choices here. Have tried out red dot sights and various scopes, but prefer the tried and true peep for my style of hunting. Simple, rugged, and accurate.

Re variable scopes, last 06 here was a tackdriver with the Leopold 3.5-10X on it. The one time I used it for hunting,turned it down to 3.5X, and taped it there. Plenty of magnification for everything less than beanfield shots.

About 06s and long blood trails, the 06 I had before that one had a brush load worked up for it. After some research,I used the 170 gr Ballistic Tip Solid Base projectile that Nosler made for the 30-30, and a starting load of IMR 4350 to produce a brush load that cloverleafed at 100 yards if I did my part. The one deer I finished off for a friend with it was DRT.

Back to the 94. While I presently mostly hunt shotgun counties, that may change. The 94 gives me one outstanding option,and one of more versatility than a bolt gun and scope. Of course, I'll probably get another one of those once Daughter's out of college.

Have a good'un and thanks...

Page generated in 0.03304 seconds with 8 queries