View Single Post
Old November 24, 2006, 09:55 PM   #24
SJshooter

+1 on revolver bedside, and a thick sturdy .357 is a good choice.

But I would never put magnums in there.

-The report of a magnum is considerably louder than a .38. Yes, in the adrenaline-pumped moment, you probably will not notice report, but you will for years after when the .357 deafens you. That's not the caliber I want to fire inside my bedroom without ear protection.

-Muzzle flash may not seem like much (I rarely notice it when I range shoot)... but in a dark bedroom it very likely will be enough to blind you temporarily (think camera flash). Not what you want.

-I can personally group my follow-up shots much tighter with .38 than with full magnums when rapid-firing. The recoil from the magnum makes it harder to put the second/third shots right on target... and if you live in a neighborhood like mine where the houses are very close and only made of drywall and insulation, you do not want to miss and put rounds into the neighbor's bedroom.

-The name of the game in home defense shooting is PLACEMENT. Period. You want to have a good plan so that you are prepared to take a good shot and end the threat. If you can focus on shot placement in the heat of an incident and are willing to put in the range time to become a deadly shot at 7 yards, then you will do just fine with .38 (+P).

Page generated in 0.02782 seconds with 8 queries