View Single Post
Old September 19, 2011, 07:00 AM   #117
Bill Akins

Quote:
Akumabito wrote:
Just giving the harmonica gun some thought here.. I think you can combine the harmonica block with the grooves from the Webley, add the gas cocking mechanism similar to discussed above in the AK revolver and use it to cock back an open bolt mechanism.. The bolt in turn has a little arm that engages the grooves in the harmonica block to keep it in position and make it impossible for it to fall out: bolt moves back, harmonica block moves half a chamber width. Bolt moves forward, harmonica block moves another half chamber, alligning a fresh chamber with the barrel right before the bolt slams the percussion cap. Perfect timing, no misfires..

It could be made very similar to the M3 'Grease gun' of WWII - only with the harmonica block being loaded from the top. Since you can't use the recoil directly to cock the bolt, you'd need a gas tube to go around the harmonica block to the rear of the gun to cock it..

My SketchUp kung-fu is failing me at the moment, but I'll try and do a sketch later on.
That would work, but I think would be needlessly complicated Akumabito. You could just put a straight gear rack on the harmonica block and engage those straight rack gear teeth with a pinion gear that was actuated by the gas piston....to advance the harmonica block. That way no zig zag slots have to be milled into the harmonica block, no reciprocating bolt is necessary either. Just a gas piston or even direct gas impingement actuating a pinion gear to advance the straight rack gear attached to the harmonica block. Which method do you think would be easier to build?

I'd keep the harmonica bloc horizontal rather than feeding vertically thru the weapon for several reasons.....

1. As I envision a 100 shot harmonica block, it would hit the ground if fed vertically and tripod mounted.

2. In order to help support the weight of the harmonica block, I conceived a roller conveyor to help hold the weight of the long harmonica block and also helps roll the harmonica block into the receiver of the weapon. The harmonica block and that roller conveyor needs to be horizontal for this to work. And it has to be attached to a tripod too....

Look forward to seeing more of your sketches Akumabito, you always do a great job on your renderings.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.03410 seconds with 8 queries