View Single Post
Old June 20, 2013, 04:32 PM   #49
MLeake

In response to dayman:

One panhandler in Honolulu used to stand at an intersection near the grocery store where my ex would shop. He was harmless, but a scammer. My ex would shoot the bull with him when stopped at a red light. One day, when it was raining, she offered to loan him an umbrella. He declined, because he said people would give him more money if he looked pathetic.

A panhandler in Pagosa Springs, CO approached a friend and me. My friend felt bad for not giving him money, but he and I both knew two nice, Christian gentlemen who had offered this man construction or landscaping jobs, which he had declined.

In Thailand, adult panhandlers force small children to beg for them, a la Fagin. I would buy the kids some food, but would not give them money, as I felt success would only cause the adults to find more kids to exploit.

So, your intentions are good, but my experience leads me to believe you are only enabling scammers and con artists.

Otherwise, instead of asking for handouts, they would be asking for a hand up (such as a job).

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries