View Single Post
Old March 15, 2013, 01:47 PM   #80
MLeake

Pianoguy - that is just irritating on so many levels...

First, your contention that the NRA no longer promotes safety is asinine. Or are you unaware of Eddie Eagle, hunter safety courses, and all the other training programs run or supported by the NRA?

Second, your oversimplification of the rights argument is astounding. The NRA has argued, correctly in my opinion, that there are supposed to be means of restoring rights, depending on a person's offense and then his behavior subsequent to punishment and (supposed) rehabilitation. Most of those who argue for a permanent ban on convicted felons do NOT support a lifetime voting ban on those same convicted felons. Meanwhile, there are mechanisms for restoring voting rights. The mechanism for restoring gun ownership rights is de-funded. Imagine how that would go over if the situation were reversed...

Third, while guns are inarguably deadly, I have been "robbed" of more of my hard-earned income in the past couple decades by the votes of people whose interests are inimical to mine than I have been "robbed" by any criminal - and I have had my home burglarized on one occasion, and movers "lose" some of my belongings on other occasions. But I would argue that votes have much more power than guns, in the long term, and I rarely see gun controllers arguing for more restrictive voting rights.

Page generated in 0.03322 seconds with 8 queries