View Single Post
Old August 6, 2009, 07:59 PM   #17
lwestatbus

Multiple Laws May Apply

You need to be very careful because multiple laws may apply. I am a university professor in Florida with a CC permit but...I absolutely cannot have a weapon on campus. While the university has a weak statement prohibiting having firearms on campus Florida's laws (like those in another state another poster mentioned) absolutely prohibit carrying a weapon onto a campus (as well as a few other places, including "notorious establishments").

Florida recently passed a law prohibiting employers from preventing employees from keeping a firearm locked in their car on company property. But...buried in this new law is a reference to the CC statute (it says something like, "nothing in this statute counters the provisions of ___") which is the paragraph in the CC statute that prohibits having a firearm (actually any "weapon") on a campus. This exception was not publicized while the keep it locked in your car was. I contacted the university PD encouraging them to publicize this exception to keep people out of trouble but they never did.

Finally, there is an oddly worded exception in the CC statute that allows you to bring a firearm on campus for the purpose of engaging in competitive shooting. But the language doesn't specify that the shooting has to be on the campus. It opens the door (in my non-lawyer mind) to bringing a weapon onto campus on the way to competitive shooting elsewhere.

Page generated in 0.02788 seconds with 8 queries