View Single Post
Old July 26, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Ruffian

How to safely and legally sell (legally) unregistered guns?

Hello everyone. My name is Laura, and I was directed here from another forum where I posted this very question. I would love your experience and input to help me (us) know what to do.

The situation: My father passed away in February, leaving his large collection of guns and ammo behind. Dad was a hunter, so most are for that purpose, but there are a few handguns as well.

Apparently, the rifles and guns are not registered; supposedly, they were not required to be at the time of purchase. (Nearly all of these guns are 20+ years old, with the exception of one rifle.)

No one in my family wants the guns, including my widowed mother, but we do not know a dang thing about what to do with them. We know some of them are fairly valuable, but not how valuable, and more importantly we don't know the legal way to go about selling them. Though Dad was a gun nut, none of us were--which means we all know precisely jack squat about the ins and outs of selling/buying/pricing/registering.

What's the best approach for this that is both legal, safe (gah, don't need people showing up randomly for a "guns for sale" ad) and assures fair price?

FTR: We're in California, if that affects anything, although only one of the guns that I/we know of was actually purchased in this state. I don't know how many guns there are, and I don't know specific models or types beyond "handgun(s) and rifles." Well--I think one is a 9mm, and another is a 22 rifle...but don't quote me.

Also, this should seem obvious, but...please don't try soliciting info about the guns; it's not why I'm here. I'm lost enough as it is.

Thank you so much!

Page generated in 0.03300 seconds with 8 queries