View Single Post
Old November 16, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-TURK
i was wondering if you know if the brand is rg? i never heard of them if it is. i paid $80 at a pawn shop for it.
Yes, it's an RG. RG Industries was an importer of cheap cast-zinc revolvers made by Rohm Gmbh in Germany. They went out of business in the mid-80's. RG's one infamous footnote in history is that it was an RG-14 .22 short that John Hinckley used in his failed assassination attempt of President Reagan. It was during that same assassination attempt that Press Secretary James Brady was wounded and paralyzed, ultimately leading to the passage of the Brady Bill. I see them regularly at pawn shops and gunshows around here for anywhere from $35-50. At $80 I'd say you got taken.

Quote:
i was also wondering about a beretta model 51 semi-auto.
The Beretta model 1951, also known as the Brigadier is a single stack, single action 9mm that was Beretta's first locked breech semi-auto, and ultimately the precursor to the 92. Same basic operating system as the 92. Original 1951's have some interest on the collector's market, but little to none as shooter, as they are simply an outdated weapon with few if any replacement parts available. The Beretta licensed Maadi Helwans are much more widely found, usually with a price tag in the low to mid 200's. If you're looking for something to carry or even shoot regularly, I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

Quote:
the original issue beretta 92's had issues at around 30,000 rounds.
Beretta 92's, like most semi-autos, do need some routine maintenance when they get up over 20-25k in round count, but generally all that is needed is a locking block replacement. The gun does not magically disintegrate at 30,000 rounds. I have a 92 Elite with right at 30k through it, it's had a spring change every 2500 rounds, and it got a new locking block at around 20k. No other issues, and this was an IDPA gun that has been run hard.

Page generated in 0.03431 seconds with 8 queries