View Single Post
Old March 9, 2008, 09:08 PM   #16
69 Impala

I believe state governments should have their voice restored in Congress, by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment. It's redundant to have both a Senate and House when both are elected by citizens of the state. Now, states must deal with federal mandates without first having a voice in the the legislature.

Sure, sometimes the Senate and House oppose each other on bills, but not very often since they are answering to the same people who elected them.

I believe in the Thomas Jefferson side of the Jefferson-Hamilton arguement that the Constitution limits the power of the federal government. It's amazing that the Tenth Amendment seems tossed to the side.
Quote:
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."-Tenth Amendment
I think it is simple and straight forward, but when you have politicians that don't know what the word "is" is, then the federal government is allowed unlimited power and states are merely its executors.

When I heard that the federal government restricted the size of the tank on the toliet in your house, I wondered, "Why do we need state governments?" Fortunately that federal restriction also prevents politicians from flushing all our liberties down the drain at one time.

Page generated in 0.03317 seconds with 8 queries