View Single Post
Old January 3, 2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Alabama Shooter

"A Modest Proposal" from a Violently Deranged Journalist

Normally I would say that this is satire. However the author makes it pretty clear that his calls for violence against gun owners and the leadership of the NRA are from years of pent up frustration and come from a place of anger.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...=2012312300033

Quote:
During my 50-year career, every time some demented soul would take a semiautomatic gun and clean out a post office, a school or a picnic, I’d get up on my soap box and let loose with a withering diatribe about guns, the National Rifle Association and weak-kneed politicians. Did it about 75 times, give or take.

And in every case the main effect was a spike in gun sales.

Still, I thought I’d give it one more shot ... er, chance.

Quote:
The thing missing from the debate so far is anger — anger that we live in a society where something like the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre can happen and our main concern is not offending the NRA’s sensibilities.
Quote:
Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.
How he expects to make this happen I am not sure.

Quote:
Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.

And if that didn’t work, I’d adopt radical measures. None of that is going to happen, of course. But I’ll bet gun sales will rise.
A bit more lunatic ravings at the link. I do not think that if the NRA were calling to drag the President around with a pick up truck there would be media silence? The fact that he wrote this and that the paper thought publishing it was a good idea is pretty indicitive of where the paper stands on a lot of things.

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries