View Single Post
Old August 14, 2009, 04:49 AM   #16
darkgael

casting

Quote:
I use whatever lead I can find. I'm not picky. (pistol range scrap is good.) I need to check with the local scrap dealer and see if he has any lead pipe...

* Lee's 230 grain truncated cone "tumble lube" bullet is a good one. Try shooting them as cast (without sizing) and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. If the Alox is too messy for you, next try a liquid lube called "Rooster Jacket".
* I like Lee 6-cavity molds, but start out with a 2-cavity mold because they are a lot cheaper and easier to get the hang of. I also use a Lee 20 pound bottom-pour lead pot. Like most (not all) Lee equipment, it is a bargain. There's also a 10# pot that costs a little less.
* Don't melt scrap lead in your casting pot. Use an old cast iron or stainless steel pot and a camp stove or hotplate or turkey fryer for that.
+1. Exactly my set up.
I was just able to clear about 300 lbs. of range lead; it'll get turned back into bullets. And then....I'll do it over again.
Pete

Page generated in 0.02139 seconds with 8 queries