View Single Post
Old December 12, 2005, 08:51 AM   #48
Old Dragoon

Wayner,

I've built several ML rifles and Pistols, albeit, 30 or more years ago. I have always hand cut the dovetails. I grind one of the flats on a 3 edge file smooth or I tape the flat so it doesn't cut.
I have not cut the rammer yet as I wanted to locate the latch first. The latch is actually moving back about 1/4-3/8 inch. I actually cut 2 inches off the bbl. right behind the rammer latch. I intend to drill the existing latch,catch,spring hole deeper. It is fairly simple to measure after the latch is in place. I have not cut the rammer yet. I measured the gap between the rammer and the latch before I cut the bbl. I also measured the depth of the keeper/spring hole. I will replicate that depth when I shorten the rammer end. This is the most simple way to shorten a rammer. That old "whack it off and reweld it isn't for me.
I also have to notch the rammer on both guns for the ejector keeper. I will bevel the ends of the ejector housings on both guns also. I thought they came beveled like the original factory (conversions) housings, but alas, no.

I will leave both rammers on my guns as I want the capability of shooting both BP or Cartridge.

I recrowned the muzzle of both guns yesterday and I cleaned up the forcing cone on both. You can shove a piece of cotton down both bbls and not get a snag now. This is after I had prieviously shot lapped both guns and hand lapped both.

I have seen the cylinder pin keeper from RJ. ( I have spent so much money there lately.One Konverter to go yet. LOL) When I make my belly gun I intend to use one. Also I'll reshape the grip frame on that gun. But that's down the road a piece. A couple other projects in front of it. Mainly to get this gun shooting as good as the other one, or at least close.

Page generated in 0.02071 seconds with 8 queries