Thread: Which Garand?
View Single Post
Old July 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Hardcase

I probably wasn't clear in my post about "correct" rifles. Or, more likely, I was just wrong.

I know what the CMP's definition of "correct" is. The only thing that I was getting at is that a correct rifle is almost certainly one that has been purposely assembled out of parts of the era, not that the parts are original to the rifle.

I guess that it's a fine point, but coming from a different area of firearms collecting, it's one that has particular meaning to me (a Winchester 1892 built in 1902 with a "correct" barrel from another gun isn't "correct".) On the other hand, given that virtually every issued M1 has been through the depot at least once, I guess that you can only take "correctness" so far.

I guess that my only point is that the only difference (to me) is that a correct rifle is one that was rebuilt from matching parts, versus one that was rebuilt from parts on hand.

Page generated in 0.03215 seconds with 8 queries