View Single Post
Old September 15, 2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Certus

Old Uberti 1858 V New Uberti 1858

I bought my first Uberti Remington NMA revolver back in 1997 when the breech loading pistol ban was introduced here in the UK preventing the use of more modern pistols. I recently retired my old revolver and replaced it with a brand new Uberti 1858, but kept the old one for mainly sentimental reasons and occasional light use. The old revolver worked flawlessly right out of the box and won quite a few competitions in its time, but unfortunately the same can't be said of the new pistol. After many light strikes when the caps were failing to ignite until the second time they were hit by the hammer, I messed around with different brands of cap and ensured that the caps wre fully seated on the nipple by using a wooden dowel to press them home. Eventually, I fixed the problem by replacing the hammer spring with the one fitted to my old revolver and hey presto the caps would ignite every time the hammer fell. The old revolver also had a nice patina to the brass trigger guard so I thought I might also switch these two items to give the new gun a bit of character. Well, this wasn't possible as the new trigger guard and the area of the frame where it fits are now slightly different in size and shape. The pistol is proving as reliable and accurate as the old one, but it took quote a bit of what should have been unnecessary messing around to get there.

Regards
Brian

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries