View Single Post
Old February 25, 2020, 04:26 PM   #19
labnoti

The powder burn rate matters too. The efficiency of rifle powders in a short (10") barrel is abysmal, but there are slow magnum 'handgun' powders that can be used instead. Powders like Lil'Gun, CFE BLK, even H110. Those won't necessarily produce the highest velocity possible, but they can be more efficient than an extruded rifle powder. These powders require less case capacity to reach maximum chamber pressures, but I concede they won't necessarily achieve the highest velocities.

The problem with the .30-30 I mentioned is the case capacity when using heavy bullets. Because high velocities will not be achieved with short barrels, heavier bullets are called for to have a terminal effect to make it a suitable substitute for a magnum handgun (presumably for hunting medium game). Those heavier bullets (>200gr.) leave even less powder space.

The chief disadvantage of the longer Krag or Brit cases is the longer receiver, action and magazines they require, and these things are just not applicable to a single-shot.

The 303 has the same case capacity as 308. Assuming we're not talking about re-using an antique receiver but chambering a modern handgun, there's no difference in pressure limits. The Krag has a little more capacity than the other two and again, the pressure limit is arcane and wouldn't apply to a modern action.

I don't mean to emphatically advocate the Krag or Brit. They are clearly better single-shot rifle cartridges than they would be good handgun cartridges. If the barrel is truly short, the cartridges that make the most sense as a substitute for a big bore revolver are the same big-bore magnum handgun cartridges but used in a single-shot.

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 8 queries