View Single Post
Old August 6, 2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, it works. And this opens another whole can of worms. I remember reading (can't recall where) mention by a fellow that he'd discovered a maximum load that worked just fine when he put it together at home, but that would produce high pressure signs if he rolled the same load at the shooting bench. He finally worked out that his powder was packing down due to transportation vibration when it came from home to the range. It was burning both faster and at higher pressure for being fluffier when loaded at the range. His powder choice obviously was not compensating for being fluffed up in his chambering.

A couple of guys have talked about setting their loading tray on a fish tank aerator pump and letting it shake charged cases down. One fellow spoke of putting his rounds on top of his vibratory tumbler. I think he had put a hole through a piece of plywood that replaced the lid when he did this. He probably had some molding glued to it to keep the boxes in place, but I don't recall the details. I also don't recall if this was charged cases or finished rounds being uniformed or if he was just making room for more powder in lieu of conventional compression.

I think it's hard to beat drop tubes for load workup at the range. You can get the packing without a source of electricity for a vibrator. That and a chronograph lets me look for a powder that shows the least variation in MV going from tight pack to loose and fluffy. That's going to give the best immunity to field conditions or other variable handling history for the finished loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03598 seconds with 8 queries