View Single Post
Old May 26, 2010, 02:17 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Firearms training; resources, Orlando area training schools..

Hello;
I'm not entirely sure of how much you know of the current Orlando, Florida shooting scene/firearms-tactics training.
You sound like you have a solid foundation to teach basic classes or firearms/CC license requirements to entry level students but I'd add this information if you may/may not know it;

1) Join the NRA, become a NRA certified firearms instructor and if possible a Refuse To Be A Victim class instructor. This will give you more insight on teaching new students(non LEO/corrections or military).
2) Go to the FL Div of Licensing: www.mylicensesite.com and apply/get a K(firearms instructor) DI(security instructor/teacher) and if possible a D(unarmed security) G(armed security). A MB(security mgr) license Wouldve good too but not a immediate requirement. I'd think you have a W/concealed license already as a Florida resident.
3) After you get more training-licenses, I'd work on a contract/short term basis for a central Florida area security/CCW class training center like S2; www.S2Institute.com RG Security Center; www.RG-security.com or another quality/respected company. Many new security industry students go to B&A or Brantly & Associates but I would not advise it. They teach classes and get high profile armed security/EP(bodyguard) details for film/tv & sporting events etc but they are poorly managed and run. I worked for the security firm for 7 weeks on a storm recovery detail after Wilma in 2005. The mgmt & security support staff had a lot of major problems(payroll, duty rosters, client relations). Many supervisors called themselves COL and LT and SGT but were worthless. A few officers on the posts were very upset with it.
4) The gun shop & range at Shoot Straight in Apopka/441 and the new location of Oak Ridge Gun Range near Orange Ave in Orlando are decent.
You also be able to teach range students outdoors here; www.cfrpc.com .
NOTE; I am not a member and I would check the rules/SOP before you use the range or property for any class-student use. The club officers or mgmt may grant permission but I can't speak for them.

I'd avoid the Reig's gun range on south OBT for formal classes. It's in a seedy/bad area and the indoor range is in rough shape. The Casselberry Shoot Straight location(rental range) isn't bad but they have had a few shootings/incidents there and I wouldn't call it very safe.
The Shooting Gallery by the Orange County Jail complex on John Young Highway is ok. It's been about 6 years since I went there.

Feel free to PM me if you want. As I posted the NRA & Div of Licensing seem to be the best resources to start.

Page generated in 0.02349 seconds with 8 queries