View Single Post
Old September 4, 2008, 07:30 AM   #1
miguel

ruger 77 misfires

I have an older, tang safety model 77 carbine in .358 win that has been driving me crazy with misfires. I bought the gun about 15 years ago, and started having a misfire every once in a while. I took it to a gunsmith and the problem disappeared until about two years ago. This past week I replaced the firing pin and spring with a Tubb speed lock firing pin and spring. Shot the gun this week and had six misfires out of 100. I tried a variety of handloads, and some older winchester factory ammo, and had misfires with all. The ammo doesn't seem to be the problem. The rifle will shoot every time if I slam the bolt home, but if you close the bolt gently, like you would sitting on a deer stand, misfires are more common. I'm thinking this may be a headspace issue, would only neck sizing my handloads solve this problem, or should the gun go back to Ruger?I don't have a competent gunsmith in my area that I trust, so the Ruger factory is my only option.Deer season is only about seven weeks away and I would like to get this resolved soon as this is my by far favorite rifle.

Page generated in 0.02811 seconds with 8 queries