View Single Post
Old September 2, 2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Harry Bonar

bore

Sir;
I don't "condition" my bores' with anything but a bronze bristle brush, Hoppes and maybe J.B. Bore paste and a good cleaning rod and a good patch.
The cut rifled bore as explained can use some light lapping but only to correct tight places in the old cut rifled barrels - you always remove some steel as you do everytime you fire your rifle.
Buttoned or hammer forged bores TODAY are so smooth and uniform it (in my opinion) lapping or treating isn't needed.
Lapping a barrel does not remove any lengthwise striations in the bore because the lap is cast in the barrel to be lapped!
If a bore needs lapped or shot with ammo loaded with even the finest abrasive should be returned to the maker. Douglas does not ever need treating any way except cleaning as I've described. If you barrel doesn't shoot, change your load, check your bedding etc.
In my 60 years I've NEVER lapped a barrel. And, I'll tell you a danger we have today. Some old boy will buy a surpluss rifle with a horribly rusted bore and try to shoot out the rust! DO NOT DO THAT - you just may have a blown up rifle!
Harry B.

Page generated in 0.02431 seconds with 8 queries