View Single Post
Old February 2, 2017, 07:20 AM   #135
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Then the Norma Magnums came out and they died right then and there."

The Norma Magnums weren't responsible for the death of the Newton cartridges.

Newton's various companies manufacturing rifles all failed. I think there were three attempts.

Newton's companies made probably between 10,000-15,000 rifles, apparently most of them were in .30 Newton, with lesser numbers in other chamberings.

Ammunition in the various cartridges was manufactured by Western, Winchester, and possibly Remington, and not every company offered all of the rounds.

What truly killed the Newton cartridges, all of them, was the combination of drastic drops in sales through the depression and then World War II.

In the run up to wartime production, and starting around 1939, there was a huge culling of cartridges.

Niche rounds, old black powder rounds, rounds for which sales had been dwindling for years, etc., were dropped from production "for the duration of the war."

After the war, they simply weren't picked back up. Some of the rounds cut at this time included the .30-03 Winchester, the .236 Lee Navy, and many of the most popular of the blackpowder Sharps and Winchester cartridges.

The same thing had happened as US companies started to gear up for production for World War I

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02887 seconds with 8 queries