View Single Post
Old December 3, 2014, 03:28 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

There are different methods to color metal parts. Some use oils dripped onto heated metal parts to impart the coloring. The old fashioned way was to use bone charcoal and heat the metal parts in an oven/kiln to give the coloring. Turnbull uses this method and it's a hardening process with the applied heat. These colors are covered with a clear coat to help protect the color finish after the process is complete. Over time these colors will fade and the applied finish can wear off or be stripped off using cleaners that wear away at it. Turnbull suggests using G96 silicone on a cloth to wipe off the metal parts. I have a couple of guns Turnbull did for me and the finish is a work of art...literally. The color will fade over time but may take most of your lifetime to do so if protected properly. The upside is that it can be repeated again and will last another lifetime. Doing it the "right" way with the bone charcoal isn't cheap but it is beautiful. I'm not sorry I've spent the money on having it done. I hunt with my guns and I'm careful to wipe the guns off when done for the day. So far they look as good as new. FYI, I was using G96 on all my guns for years before Turnbull mentioned using it. It's the best metal protectant I've ever used. I've never has any rust on any gun I own.

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 8 queries