View Single Post
Old September 7, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
oldpapps

There are many variables that have to come together for the illusion of accuracy to happen.

Fortunately many have worked hard and tested and calculated so much for us in the past (and on going). We can draw upon this great wisdom and follow what the market place offers and if we stay middle of the road, so to speak, we can have something that works for us.

To the subject of this thread.

As 'PA-Joe' has mentioned, rifles are rifled and some twists work poorly with given ranges of bullet lengths at some velocities and others do well. For the 62gr bullets in this thread, it is not actually the weight but the length of the bullet that can get us into trouble, well the velocity does come into the mix too.

I don't know the type of weapon that 'ScottRiqui' is dealing with, so I will guess an AR in one form or another.

The 62gr bullets are steel core and longer than they would be if fully lead core. This adds overall length.

I have found that 62gr .223/5.56 bullets in the normal spread of velocities for an AR type barrel will not stabilize well if the twist is as slow as 1 in 12. My AR-180 has a 1 in 12 twist and doesn't do well at all. I think a 1 in 9 or faster twist would be much better. I have have no problems with stability out of a 1 in 8 twist. Still doesn't have what I want but I think that is because of the bullet's them self.

If your weapon's twist is 1 in 9 or faster, you should be alright.

Note, I did try some 62gr loads out of a 1 in 14 twist and had to set up a box, big box, at 10 yards to catch the tumbling bullet shapes. Glad I didn't load up 500 or so and pack them away thinking they would be ok.

But, each weapon is a world unto itself and anything can happen.

Enjoy and be safe,.

OSOK

Page generated in 0.03565 seconds with 8 queries