View Single Post
Old May 30, 2014, 10:08 AM   #10
alan

James K:

Some interesting comments have appeared in this discussion. As for yours, regarding "no practical way to fill in the ejection port ..", I'm surprised that the lack of practically managed to stand in the way of possible government action, but then I might be overly suspicious of both government and the actions it takes or doesn't take.

Otherwise, regarding early Russian attempts to develop an "assault rifle", as memory serves, they tried one, around the WW 1 time period. It was in 6.5 MM caliber (intermediate cartridge), gas operated, and didn't work particularly well, due to metallurgy problems, corrosive primers I believe, among other troubles.

As to the Pedersen Device rifles, modified Springfield rifles, to describe them as "semi-automatic assault rifles" is I think in error. My thinking along those lines is as follows:

1. The term "semi-automatic assault rifle" is politicians terminology.
2. Pedersen Device equipped rifles did not have selective fire capability, correct me if I'm wrong. The correct definition of "assault rifle/assault weapon" is as follows. Selective Fire Weapon, usually of rifle configuration, chambered for intermediate cartridge. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
3. The Springfield Rifle fired the full power service rifle cartridge, that being the 30-06, as it came to be known. The Pedersen Device was essentially an auxiliary firing mechanism, that fired a rifle caliber (30) pistol cartridge.

Re the foregoing, some might think I make mountains out of mole hills. Perhaps so, however I submit that terminology is important.

Last edited by alan; May 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.04114 seconds with 8 queries