View Single Post
Old April 29, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

The 357 is very effective on deer if the shooter has the ability to put the bullet on target at ranges within his capability limits. The 158grain bullets have worked best for me. The 180 grain will kill deer but it's difficult to get expansion at distance since it can't be driven fast enough to reliably expand past fifty yards. Attached are two bullets recovered out of the same deer and hit within three inches of each other. Each bullet cut a rib going in and lodged under the hide on the off side. One shot was at around 35yds and the second was very close to 100 yds. The difference in expansion is very noticable. I've shot over fifty deer with the 357 (over many years of exclusivily hunting with a handgun in three states) and have only lost one deer. It was shot with a 44mag and I simply made a bad shot. Sometimes it just happens. Caliber doesn't kill, it is bullet placement that does. It's a lot like bow hunting. Know the range, have the ability to hit the target under some duress, and practice until you are capable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 357mag expansion 005.JPG (116.1 KB, 22 views)

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 9 queries