View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
raftman

I would suspect the mag release is the product of a time when mags on such rifles were meant to be removed primarily for cleaning and the weapon was to be loaded using stripper clips.

In any case, one could without difficulty design a weapon with essentially the same action without the odd-looking plastic knob and with a more conventional mag release. Scaled to an intermediate caliber, the receiver would not need to be quite so beefy (though as has been mentioned, despite the robust receiver, the 49/56 was actually still considerably lighter than its counterparts). The style of rail on the 49/56 isn't necessary to the action either.

In much the same way that the M14 had its basis in the Garand but did away with the outdated 8-round enbloc in favor of a higher capacity detachable magazine. Or in much the same way that the Mini-14, given its scaling down for .223 needed no longer weigh 10 pounds or be 44 inches long.

Quote:
I don't see any intrinsic benefit of a Garand or Stoner design over the MAS action.
Precisely! I admit I'm not a gun guru, but I just don't see anything the Garand/M1A/Mini-14/etc, or AR15/M16 actions do better than the MAS action that justifies their relative complexity.

Page generated in 0.03860 seconds with 8 queries