View Single Post
Old September 14, 2000, 01:25 PM   #8
krept

Just an observation...

I have found that when many people are unexpectedly confronted with a violent situation freeze up due to all of the adrenaline, etc. going through the body. The more one is accustomed to this feeling, the mroe one is able to utilize it to his or her advantages.

I have found that I can almost predict attacks as well in untrained fighters. It's kind of like playing with a cat or dog... you know almost the split instant they are going to go from the static on balance position to a dynamic one, usually preceded by muscular tension and inhalation. The problem with watching for these "signs" in HTH is that they can be distracting and it is better as Lee/Mushasi/or Tzu said to watch the whole picture.

I have found that many times in violent encounters on-balance attacks are rare unless the person is trained. The problem I had with Aikido is that the irimi and tenkan (i think this is right) movements necessitated a firm base, which is desirable. Maybe the best way to describe it is how the aikidoka say "being centered." Frequently people lose their centered-ness with the adrenaline feeling, the "oh golly, I'm being hit" etc. and that is why it is extremely difficult to execute the techniques unless you are skilled enough to remain centered.

I have found that through groundfighting/grappling/jiujitsu (Brazilian) I learned how to be centered (or what a base is) easier. This applies very well to fighting, as when you can attain base on the ground, you can clear your head, calm down get the adrenaline feeling a little worked out and then procede much better than trying to do so on your feet. The situation is not so dynamic on the ground and you have better balance. For me, ironically, it was easier to learn how to be centered from ground grappling than standing techniques. IMO the ground is a very good place to start learning.

OK, I've caught myself rambling again (haha). My point: technique goes out the window initially due to nerves. If you can get in a position to calm down without being a target, you are much better off.

BTW, there are some AWESOME places to train in Hawaii.

Erik

Page generated in 0.03256 seconds with 8 queries