View Single Post
Old May 23, 2009, 08:00 PM   #41
ClemBert

Went over to my buddy's house today to directly compare my new Uberti 1858 Remmie from Buffalo Arms against his Pietta 1858 Remmie from Cabelas. Both revolvers were bought new in the last month or so.

It was pretty clear doing a side-by-side comparison of the two that the Uberti was superior in finish. The metal finish is much finer and nicer on the Uberti. The grip finish is also superior on the Uberti. The fit of the cylinder and relationship of the cylinder to the forcing cone shows the Uberti to have much tighter tolerances. In addition, the Uberti cylinder free spins like glass whereas the Pietta is almost sticky even though my buddy cleaned it and lubricated the cylinder pin. Also, on the Pietta, the hammer is peening the nipples whereas on the Uberti the hammer stops short of that happening.

Of course I paid $277 for mine and he got his on sale for $189. For the difference in price it is understandable why the Uberti is superior. After all, the Uberti is 46% more in price. Honestly, I don't mind paying the extra $88 in light of the difference between the two. Afterall, I expect to have this as a shooter for the rest of my life.

I can not comment on how the two compare as shooters. My buddy hasn't shot his yet. As for mine, it shoots very accurate. In the end I would say that it does not appear that he has a problem with his Pietta. Rather, the Pietta isn't made to the same quality IMHO. Lastly, we don't know what differences there may be in the metallurgy. Perhaps they are identical in this area.

Page generated in 0.02443 seconds with 8 queries