View Single Post
Old October 24, 2006, 05:06 PM   #4
taylorce1

It is a great hobby to get into that you will enjoy. I started reloading after I bought my second center fire rifle. I bought a .223 for shooting varmints and realized right away that I needed to reload. When you shoot 200-300 rounds a day in a target rich enviroment even the $5 box of American Eagle cartridges gets expensive. I reload 100 rounds for $15 vs $25 for the cheap factory loads so I save $100 every 1000 rounds.

I see the Lee Anniversary kits on sale for about $80, and a $30 average for the dies and shell holder. Assuming that you have saved your brass bullets. primers and powder for 100 rounds will cost you around $40. I figure you can pick up cheap ammo for $15 for 20 rounds so it will cost you $75 for 100 rounds. So you have a savings of $35 per hundred rounds of .270 on average, and it doesn't take long to recapture the investment of $110 on the kit and dies just a little of 300 rounds.

Invest in a better kit than the Lee Classic if you can, I recommend a RCBS Master Reloading kit. It is more expensive but I like the case trimmer, hand priming tool, and the scale better than what you get with Lee. Invest in a good brass brass polisher as soon as possible to clean your cases, it will make your life easier, I use a Lyman Turbo Tumbler and I got it for around $35. You will need a dial/digital caliper as well to measure the trim to length of the case and the overall length of the cartridge. Get a bullet puller as well because you will make mistakes from time to time.

Buy the book ABC's or Reloading it will be a big help to you in the long run plus every bench should have one. Check for used stuff on the internet like ebay, gunbroker, auctionarms, or the classifieds here on TFL to get some stuff cheaper. Build a good sturdy bench with a non-sparking surface for obvious reasons with plenty of room for a good set up.

Reloading gives you a hobby to do when you can't shoot your rifles. Plus you get to play around with your loads to get the best performance you can out of your rifle. You also get more range time because of the cheaper cost of ammunition and that makes you more proficient with your rifles or hand guns.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 24, 2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.03193 seconds with 8 queries