View Single Post
Old November 17, 1999, 08:59 AM   #8
karlfitt

I have owned a 550 and now own a 650.
Yes the 550 is a little quicker to change calibers on, but the 650 makes up for that with how much quicker you can load the cartridges.
The main reason I moved to the 650 was a problem with the 550 primer system. If for any reason the primer feed arm does not move perfectly smoothly, the primer can get flipped in that little cup, them loaded into your case upsidedown! I sent the press to dillon to have this looked at, it worked for a few hundred (1000 or 2000 maybe) rounds and then reverted to flipping some of the primers.
I tried every kind of lube I could think of (and you must be careful here because lube & primers don't mix well), I polished the parts, still jerky operation of the primer feed arm caused some primers to flip.
With the 650 primer system this is not possible. The primers are held in place until they get to the primer feed station where they are inserted into the cases.
The loss of the ability to load some rifle calibers did not come into play for me, but it might for others since the 550 has more caliber conversion kis available.

Karl

Page generated in 0.02700 seconds with 8 queries