View Single Post
Old June 17, 2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Leftoverdj

That bulge probably means that load was overpressure and you ran into the slide velocity problem. The slide and case had moved far enough to the rear so that the case had room to bulge before pressure dropped. Cases can blow out because of this, but they have an amazing amount of stretch before they blow. More subtlely, the slide was travelling back far too fast. Repeated often enough, you get battering or crystalization.

Took me a while to figger that out the first time I ran into it.

Since you are investigating terminal effects, I would suggest you do your test shooting with something else. Your test media is going to show the same results when a .32 WC runs into it at 600 fps no matter what it came out of. If you have a 7.62x39 rifle around, that would be about ideal.

You might also spend some time looking at loading manuals which have loads listed for both WC and conventional bullets to get a feel for how much reduction you need. My Lee #2 has such info for .38 Special and .32 Long. My rough guess is that switching to a deep seated WC calls for at least a 1/3 reduction in charge.

Page generated in 0.03701 seconds with 8 queries