View Single Post
Old December 9, 2002, 07:29 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Riflery and shotgunning are antipathetic to a degree. Being good at one can hinder one at the other. BUT, it's fixable.

Those good at benchrest rifle, High Power, etc, often really $%^&* up with a shotgun. At least at first, lots of those folks are obsessive enough to gut it out and get good through liberal applications of elbow grease. Been there...

The big things are moving the focus from the sights to the target, and adjusting to a moving target. Rifles are generally shot at still targets or slowly moving ones, whereas shotguns have to put a cloud of shot where something is going to be. This can be difficult, like tracking a dove as it gyres and gymbals by.

Your approach is of great merit. To really learn something down in the synapses, it's best to immerse oneself in whatever it is until it's learned past any forgetting. Concentrating on the shotgun and using your approach should have you past the steepest part of the learning curve PDQ.

As for technique, maybe the old thread on Proper Mounting Techniques might help.

The few times I've shot something offhand from 375 H&H level rifles, I've used the same mount and stance I do with shotguns loaded with anything heavier than my creampuff trap loads. Weight well forward with the front knee bent, control hand pulling the weapon back into the "Cup", firm cheek weld.

As for mods, etc, you know my opinions. Here's the short list of must haves.

A clean trigger, less than 5 lbs.

A stock that fits.

Sights you can see.

And finally, lots of ammo.

That's it.

Get some lessons that get your form off to a good start and have fun while getting good.

As for slugs, there's few absolutes. Try the more open chokes first,usually nothing past Modified works the best.

HTH....

Last edited by Dave McC; December 10, 2002 at 05:29 AM.

Page generated in 0.04253 seconds with 8 queries