View Single Post
Old April 22, 2011, 10:18 AM   #32
Hardcase

Hmm...I should have anticipated that my OP would skew in this direction.

What I had intended to point out was that my "official" education regarding General Lee's decision to resign his commission and return to Virginia was presented as a very one dimensional "well, we're in it, so here I go" process.

Now, that was over thirty years ago, so I don't know what's being taught today. And obviously, given the limited time and resources that our schools have, an in-depth history of the Civil (or whatever you care to call it) War isn't practical. But General Lee was such a pivotal person in the war that it seems a shame that we didn't spend a bit more time (and by "a bit" I mean just a single class period) considering his decision, especially in light of the fact that his ruminations were mirrored by so many other Southern officers.

In fact, that transitions into yet another pet peeve of mine, which is that it seems like so few people are interested in learning about this country's history. Now, I don't mean with the kind of zeal and zest that most of us on this forum pursue it, but with even a casual interest. Without devolving into a political discussion (which we can get enough of outside these civil bounds), it seems that everything that happens in current events has a historic parallel that is almost always quite intriguing to learn about. No need to cite examples...that sort of talk belongs elsewhere, but I think that most of you will agree that in our lifetimes, the technology may have changed and the names certainly have changed, but the events are not unique. I find that quite fascinating.

Anyway, as I said, I didn't intend for this thread to go quite the way that it went, but as I pointed out in a different topic, I am but a minion and, since Gary hasn't seen fit to toss any leftover bits of his authority my way, I don't get to lord it over anybody. So I'm just the boss of me.

Carry on!

Page generated in 0.03838 seconds with 8 queries