View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1
antibiotic

what one gauge do i need to headspace & savage nut install

my project is a new cal.6.5x55 barrel for a savage model 110. the new barrel needs to be headspaced. my gunsmith said he needs two gauges,a go and nogo gauge. id like to only purchase only one gauge. sorry i'm cheap,, is this possible? And how tight does the barrel nut have to be?. when i got the project started, i tried to get the barrel nut off myself with the savage barrel wrench tool, nothing i tried would loosen it. i tried everything to get the nut off . i used my bench vise with some wood pieces and alot of leather strips to protect the finish of the rifle and barrel. it would just spin around on the leather pads. even a good wack with a hammer on the wrench wouldnt do it. so i guess its on there pretty tight, but how tight? I finally ended up taking it to my gunsmith for its removal. and no i do not have a receiver jig or any specialty tools.i just own a vise and a hammer. oh, and a big screwdriver... now its time to put it back on. can anyone help me on the headspace and nut install? thanks jim

Page generated in 0.02284 seconds with 8 queries