View Single Post
Old July 25, 2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Socrates

Sounds good for gun magazines. Problem with the big cases is that African animals come in prides, herds, etc. The magazine capacity of the Weatherby's, 460 based, Rigby's etc. are usually 2-3, not good if you get caught in the middle of a pride of hungry lions, or, elephants take exception to your hunting them.

I've shot 375 H&H, 450 Lott, .510 Van Horn, etc. all with belts, and, I find no disadvantage to the belted cases.
Just insures consistent head spacing.

I like this picture of my max, with 500 Linebaugh, .50 Alaskan, 50-110, .510 van Horn, and some 450 Lotts, in silver clothes:

Also, while you get more pressure in the Remington, you use a LOT less powder then with other lower pressure cases, and, the result is the recoil is kind of a trade off:

If you look closely at the cartridges in the above picture, you can see the considerable difference in size between the 450 Lott, and, the 450 Nitro Express 2. That translates into about 40 grains of difference in powder capacity, and, that means more recoil with the greater powder capacity.
While I think you can get a Lott to do what ever the 416 Remington can do, and cheaper, that doesn't make the 416 all that bad.

Now that said, I would NEVER buy anything from Remington, and, will avoid their stuff like the plague, ammo, rifles, etc.

The sticky ammo comments are well taken, since I found Remington to use the cheapest, highest recoiling, inaccurate powders of any of the ammo companies.

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries