View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
cubuff42

Real world shooting vs. Range time shooting

I have been reading so many posts about TFL members bragging about tight groups and etc. My question is this, how many of these people can shoot a 2" group at 25 yards with someone shooting back at them?

I have been involved in competitive trapshooting for 10 years, and they teach you to point shoot, that is, if the gun fits correctly, you look at the target and you pull the trigger, the second you try and aim you will be behind it. This is why my dad's stock company (precision fit stocks) is so successful, this is what works.

As inexperienced as I am with my USP 40F, I can tell you right now that no matter how many rounds I put through it or how consistent my groups are, everything changes in a flight or fight situation. My stance, grip, breathing, heart rate will all change immediately. But the most important factor is time, will any of us have time to acquire the target, align the sights, back to the target and then back to the front sight? I really do not think so, I think I would immediately revert to point shooting.

Now before you all have a hay day I want you to know that I know the importance of practice and consistency, I know firsthand that techniques become second nature, given the SAME situation. After running 99 straight in trap, everything is different for that final bird, it's not a situation you practice, nor can you practice, consistently.

I don't quite know why I'm going on and on but I just have a feeling that many of us are not practicing for the right situation. Very few of us will have a Lethal Weapon, Danny Glover type situation with one shot left in the cylinder and the BG at 50 yds. running away from us, we will not have all the time in the world.

Could someone please clear this up for me? I understand that with practice comes better and quicker sight/target acquisition, but what really happens in a shoot or be shot situation?

Thanks
-Tyler

Page generated in 0.02580 seconds with 8 queries