View Single Post
Old November 3, 1999, 10:04 PM   #9
Ankeny

Joey:

Well...I found my elk. The story is in with the Lost Deer thread.

Unfortunately, the type of thing you describe happens all too often. I find it hard to believe that the guys went back the next day to attempt to recover the animal, unless they wanted the cape and rack.

In Wyoming, they would have broken no laws at all. The law only requires a reasonable effort be made. In fact, they could have assumed a miss and walked away and not have been in violation.

As for magnum rifles, I have seen several instances where a marginal hit with a magnum has resulted in recovery of game where the same hit with an inadequate firearm would have most likely resulted in a lost animal. Magnums are for use on large animals by experienced hunters and riflemen who can handle them. I like my magnum as insurance in case I wiggle a bit, the animal steps forward, or that little imperceptible cross wind blows across the canyon.

A good friend of mine shot a 350 class bull elk with his .257 Roberts and he lost the critter. This guy is a licensed outfitter and former Dept. of Ag. government trapper. Hmmmm...sounds like a topic for another thread. In his case it might have been the gun stoopid...

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries