View Single Post
Old April 12, 2010, 08:58 PM   #29
frumious

Short version...I'm taking it to a smith this weekend.

Long version: Went to hardware store. Took shroud with me. Bought smallest screw extractor they had. Barely fit. Turns out, didn't fit far enough. Wouldn't bite. Heated end of shroud with soldering gun a few times and after it cooled, drove small flathead screwdriver in and attempted to turn. Nothing. So I punched out the rear pin and removed the sight blade that way. Could then see the pointy end of the screw. No visible damage and appeared to be straight. Filled slot with WD-40 and let sit overnight. Next night heated shroud again. Once it cooled, drove screwdriver back in, attempted to turn. Nothing. Then made the mistake of using a cheap drill bit and turning it by hand clockwise to see if it would bite and i could just screw the screw all the way in and let it fall our the back side. Bit broke off in screw of course.

There's a smith that comes to the bimonthly (monthly?) gun show here...I've talked to him before and he seems to specialize in 1911's, but he does other work too, I think. I'll either take it to him or maybe take it to another guy I've heard does good work that has a shop not too far from me.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I realize I did not listen to it all, thanks anyway. At least I have 3 more "working" barrels I can use while I wait for this one to be fixed.

-cls

Page generated in 0.02289 seconds with 8 queries