View Single Post
Old May 2, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
CHayworth

Help out a "New Reloader" and resolve some of many questions :-)

Basically I have got interested in reloading one way or another and have so many questions. Every time I look up to answer a question i always then have more questions and then i hit a dead spot so to speak. I hear so many different people saying one thing and others saying the opposite or something different.

First off just to state what I'm reloading:
I bought a new S&W M&P15 OR not too long back.
A Ruger P95 9mm
and a friends Ruger SR9 9mm and his savage .204

So far with the help of a friend i feel like for the most part i understand the reloading equipment fairly well.

But.. what it boils down to is. I want to reload the "perfect" ammunition that shoots "perfect". I know that is a far stretch but I wanna reload every round as close to perfect as possible. Down to perfect brass, perfect powder charge, and perfect bullets etc.

I know they have powder chargers, that you set your powder at a certain weight, but they are not perfect from reviews of products. I know you set the charge, then check it ever so often, like every ten loads or 3 loads. but I'm worried that the .1-2 grain difference is gonna make my groups that much bigger, and especially when the distance gets further out. I'm probably just too paranoid or something (perfectionist) lol.

Q1: A big question I have is MOLY coating the bullets for my ar15 and for the .204 or any rifle really.

Q2: then while on my ar15, I'm not sure to load .223 or 5.56 brass. there is a difference between them, and from what i understand, is that in 5.56 the leade is further and also that the brass is a tad thicker, I have also noticed 5.56 ammunition being slightly lower in velocity (my guess due to the thicker brass). So People say shooting .223 in 5.56 chamber has a slight loss in accuracy. I have no preference between the two, just wanna shoot the one that shoots best out of my rifle.

Q3: Full size die or neck sizing die on my ar15. I hear neck sizing the brass when it is already fire formed to your chamber, generally gives you better accuracy. I would love to do this for my ar15. Then however, I read that you should always use a full size die in semi autos. So could I just neck size my brass for my ar15? If I did.. what is some of the results that could occur? Say its the oh idk 5th time reloading the brass. and I'm having problems with it chambering all the way. If i didn't notice the round wasn't all the way into the chamber, could my gun still fire, then causing severe damage to me and rifle? etc. also brass getting stuck in chamber? cause from what i understand is, semi extractors are not as tough as bolt action extractors. etc.

Q4: What is the best way to get very accurate powder measurements. measuring each load on a measuring device, such as a electronic scale or getting one of those expensive powder chargers that measure it each time. if the ammo calls for 15grains of powder i want to be able to have 15grains in each round, not 14.9 or 15.1 lol.

Q5: How do I know what is the best bullet seating depth? will the bullet manufacturer tell me where it is ideal at, and then i just have to tinker with it and try it out till i find the sweet spot? This also becomes an issue with the ar15.. cause i still have to be able to load them into a magazine.

Q6: Trimming brass/prepping brass. To have really consistent brass, would you wanna trim the case every time you reload back to the original OAL. Does the case length make a difference? Also talking about OAL, for best consistent ammo, would you also measure each rounds OAL when fully loaded?

Q7: Different crimps? Factory Crimp.. and taper crimps? whats the difference? what is each used for? I''m just completely clueless on this question.

Q8: General question on dies. whats difference between Competition dies and normal cheapo dies and Custom grade dies, national match dies, small base sizer dies and then the use of Mic Dies example "RCBS Precision Mic 223 Remington"

Q9: Powder. How do you pick your powder? go by reloading books? or what i have been doing, but have not reloaded yet, is search in forums for what people recommend for a certain load.
I think that's most of my questions, I'm sure I will have more questions on feedback, just hope you all bear with me through this all lol. Appreciate all help. Thanks

Page generated in 0.03914 seconds with 8 queries