View Single Post
Old October 7, 2006, 05:16 PM   #3
rwilson452

more stuff

I have a brand new, never openedLee Anniversery Kit ($30, includes press, autoprime, autoprime shell holders, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, case lube, cutter and lockstud, powder scale, measure, and funnel), which evidently has everything I need, except dies and a manual.

I have a cheap manual I bought a year or so ago in one of those bargin book shops. I picked it up for the informative section at the start where it describes the process and equipment. I do not remember the publisher, so I presume it would be wise to opt for a new manual, as well?

Yep a new manual is in order more than one would be good.
for 38 special there will be no real need to trim the cases. they just don't grow.

So, does that mean I purchase Lee 4 Die set along with powder, primers, and bullets and I'm good to go? Well, and safety glasses. For $10 less, you can opt for a 3 die set that omits the crimping die.

The Lee 4 die set comes with a shell holder and they are carbide dies so you will not need to lube the cases. I would suggest a set of calipers to measure cartridge overall length. (C.O.A.L. or O.A.L) they ccan be had for around 25 beans.

Do I need to buy any other fancy bits and pieces? The kit description says it doesn't include a case length gauge or shellholder with regards to the cutter and lock stud... so do I need these items? I don't want to make this an expensive affair, but at the same time I'd like to buy what I need to make this happen. As I said, right now I'm only concerned with .38spl, I won't be branching out into .357magnum for some time, I figure.

Finally, I've got an assortment of used once brass, mostly Remington and Magtech. I assume there's no issue with these, if they pass a visiual inspection looking for cracks, etc? I've also got an assortment of previously reloadaded cartridges in both brass and nickle from buying the occasional box of UltraMax reloads. Is this going to be safe, or should I just trash 'em? Or is it only the nickle cartridges that aren't safe?

Anything else I need? Suggestions for things I should or shouldn't do?

Getting the Lee 4 die set and the calipers and you should be good to go except for consumables. like powder bullets and primers. For a manual I would suggest the Lee's Modern Reloading It has a good section on how to with just the stuff your using. I suggest the 4 die set over the 3 die set because your going to find that factory crimp die will save you a lot of grief. Well worth the extra 10 bucks. Nickle cases are safe but a PITA to load and don't last as long. not to mention hard on the dies. One thing I forgot GET A TUMBLER to clean your brass. Not an absolute necessity but again well worth the bucks

If I'm not mistaken The kit you bought has the book in it. Open it and find out before buying that manual

Last edited by rwilson452; October 7, 2006 at 05:19 PM. Reason: more stuff

Page generated in 0.02772 seconds with 8 queries