Thread: Patch & Ball
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
horseman308

Quote:
GREAT!! Glad to see others using the correct stuff.
"Correct" kinda seems like a subjective term, given all the permutations of ball size, patch thickness, lube ingredients, and powder granulation/charge. I'd think that a person's needs/desired results would also help determine what is the best or "correct" load for their rifle or pistol.

For instance, I shoot a .490" rb with .018 pillow ticking and either spit or a beeswax/murphy's oil soap/castor oil lube over 55gr. of 3Fg (by volume) GOEX in my .50 flinter. It gives me about 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards and 3-4" at 100 yards, depending on humidity and wind conditions. Not a fantastic group, I know. However, I can shoot several shots without having to swab the barrel and it's a perfectly useful load for hunting deer and for shooting woods walks with steel silhouettes without having to mess with too many steps. Just load, shoot and have fun. Don't even need to mess with a short-starter. So, it's what I have determined as "correct" given my needs.

However, I'd be willing to bet you get much smaller groups with your set up than I do. Do you swab between every shot? I know that if I were shooting for score, competitively, or for squirrels heads at 50 yards, I'd be looking for a much different approach. Just my $.02. I might need change

Page generated in 0.03592 seconds with 8 queries