View Single Post
Old February 9, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Technosavant

Remington 597 VTR Handguard and Stock

File this one under FYI for those who own or are thinking about owning a Remington 597 VTR.

I did some tearing down of mine, and discovered that my hunch was correct- there are exactly four parts on the thing not shared with the regular Rem 597 or with the AR-15. Those parts are the side plates and the front and rear receiver blocks.

First, the handguard. It is a regular free float tube. The tube itself can be unscrewed from the nut, and the nut can be replaced with a standard AR-15 barrel nut. This means that any free float AR handguard that will clear the barrel and has its own handguard nut will fit. If you want to add rails, just find yourself a handguard you like (assuming it has its own barrel nut) and go to town. I'm likely to swap a Troy TRX Extreme onto mine.

Next, the pistol grip. Standard AR-15. Find one you like.

And the stock. The VTR has a basic commercial sized stock and receiver extension- any commercial sized stock will swap right on (Magpul MOE, whatever). The tube removes just like a collapsible tube on an AR-15- loosen the castle nut, retract the endplate, and unscrew the tube. You should be able to swap it out for a milspec tube if you feel the need, or you could also install an A2 style stock (or go from the A2 style stock to a collapsible). Since the endplate is standard, you should even be able to swap it out for something with a sling swivel if you feel the desire.

I know many folks don't really care, but for those who do, have fun with the info.

Page generated in 0.02810 seconds with 8 queries